top ten reasons you should not use anything containing SLS.
- It is a known skin irritant. cosmetic companies need to test the healing properties of a lotion, they need to irritate the skin first and they do this with SLS, of course. If you have dandruff, dermatitis, canker sores, or other irritated tissues or skin, it could be due to SLS.
- Long-term permeation of the body’s tissues. A study showed that SLS had the power to permeate the eyes, brain, heart, and liver
- It helps other chemicals get into your body. SLS is a penetration enhancer,which means that its molecules are so small they’re able to cross the membranes of our body tissues. Once cells are compromised, they become more vulnerable to other toxic chemicals that may be with the SLS.
- It emits toxic fumes when heated.Toxic Sodium Oxides and Sulfur Oxides are released when SLS is heated. Having a hot shower with an SLS shampoo seem not quite as nice…
- Manufacturing process is highly polluting, emitting cancer-causing volatile organic compounds, sulfur compounds, and air particulates.
- It pollutes our groundwater. It is very toxic for the aquatic animals ,it also bioaccumulation (meaning it accumulates in the bodies of the fish.) It also is undetected in many municipal water filters, getting into the tap water that we drink
- It’s an eye irritant. It was shown to cause cataracts in adults, and is proven to inhibit the proper formation of eyes in small children.
- Nitrate and other solvent contamination. Toxic solvents, including carcinogenic nitrates are used in the manufacturing of SLS, traces of which can also remain in the product making it really unsafe for use.
- It has corrosive properties. this includes corrosion of the fats and protiens that make up skin and muscle. SLS can be found in garage floor cleanrs, engine degreasers, and car wash soaps.
- It is actually a pesticide and herbicide. It is used to kill plants and insects. Makers of SLS recently petitioned to have SLS listed as an approved pesticide for organic farming. The application was however denied because of its polluting properties and environmental damage it causes
Does it cause cancer?
SLS is not a recognized carcinogen itself, but there is some truth behind the rumors. When SLS is mixed with triethanolamine (or T.E.A) carcinogenic substances called nitrosames can form and be released.